A NUMBER of houses in Bacup were evacuated due to a gas leak earlier today.
Rossendale Police confirmed that they were first informed about the incident on Pembroke Street and Verax Street just after 5.15pm on Thursday January 14.
A number of houses on both streets were evacuated as a precautionary measure and firefighters also attended the scene.
Rossendale Borough Council worked to find alternative accommodation for residents who have been affected, while the gas board carried out repair work in the area.
Police allowed residents to return their homes once they have been made safe at around 7.30pm.